Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Not So Golden Boy

Golden Boy Promotions is in some hot water this week after being suspended by the New York State Athletic Commission over some contract issues regarding the Malignaggi - Khan and Campbell - Ortiz fights.

Right now it seems to be a he said/she said situation and I'm not going to convict GBP just yet.

However, I will say they are guilty of negligence when it comes to public relations. I don't know if GBP has a problem with me, Through the Ropes or their people just don't know how to do PR. But I have never gotten an interview with a Golden Boy fighter when I've made the request directly to Golden Boy. In fact, I'm not sure if they've ever even responded to my requests.

This isn't sour grapes. I understand that they can't honor every interview request, even if Through the Ropes is the only nationally syndicated boxing radio show on the air and is heard on 75 stations around the country plus Fightnews.com.

I don't expect to land every interview. But I do expect the courtesy of a reply. A simple, "Sorry, but he's not available at that time," will suffice.

Yes, I know I'm venting. But how the PR department of one of boxing's most influential promoters can blow off the media is mind boggling to me.

That being said, we're still going to have a great show Thursday night. And it even involves a Golden Boy fighter -- Robert "the Ghost" Guerrero, who luckily for him has a top notch publicist in Mario Serrano. We'll also talk with Showtime's Steve Farhood about Friday's terrific ShoBox card.

Tune in Thursday night at 9 p.m. ET

Also, follow us on Twitter

No comments: