Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The White Whale

Like Captain Ahab's quest for the white whale that took his leg, my white whale has been Kelly Pavlik -- although thankfully he hasn't caused me any bodily harm (yet).

We had Pavlik scheduled the night before the weigh in for the first Taylor fight but when we called he was in the sauna, sweating off the remaining pounds. That was the closes we've ever been to getting him on the show.

Hopefully, after tomorrow night I'll be able to say I caught my white whale as he is scheduled to appear on Through the Ropes. Also scheduled is boxing writer Eric Raskin of ESPN.com and former Editor in Chief of Ring Magazine.

Lastly, there's a chance we'll have Paulie Malignaggi. Here's some breaking news -- he had surgery on his fractured right hand today. No one else is reporting this. How do I know? Because I spoke to him as he was on his way to the hospital. He told me to give him a call tomorrow and if he's up for it, he'll spend some time with us on the air. I wouldn't count on it as I suspect he'll be on pain killers, but he's a warrior, so you never know. He's an entertaining interview under regular conditions. It could be a lot of fun if he's under the influence of heavy narcotics.

Also, please vote in the poll to the right. We want to gauge Ropes listeners interest in MMA. Should we expand coverage to MMA. Vote and feel free to leave comments.

No comments: