Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Firsts

Tonight, I'm taking my 7 year old son to the fights for the first time. He has never shown an interest in boxing, despite the fact that he knows about my radio show and ring announcing. Then out of the blue, two weeks ago, he asked if he could come with me to a boxing event.

Warriors was gracious enough to grant him a press credential. That alone should make him feel special. As Wayne and Garth showed, there's nothing like having a laniard around your neck that allows you to get into restricted places. Usually, at the Hard Rock there are lots of well known boxers. On a given night you might see Shannon Briggs, Jameel McCline, Glen Johnson, Ricardo Mayorga, Kassim Ouma, Edison Miranda, Juan Urango, etc. Hopefully, we'll get a chance to talk to some of these guys and have pictures taken with my son.

I remember going to my first ball game with my dad like it was yesterday. It was against the Baltimore Orioles. I was 8 years old. Grant Jackson threw me a baseball and Dick Tidrow signed it.

I can't tell how excited he is about tonight. He is a pretty mellow kid. But I can't remember the last time I was this amped about going to a show. I'm sure he'll be blown away by the experience and it will create memories for both of us that will last a lifetime.

FYI -- no show for the next two weeks. After getting home around midnight tomorrow, I'll be on my way to the airport by about 4:30 to catch my flight to Fresno to cage announce ShoXC Friday night. I'm off the following week as well. It's a good opportunity to recharge the batteries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome story about your son and his first fight. I hope he really enjoys it. It should be a great memory for both father and son. I remember when my Dad brought me to my first Notre Dame football game - it is a memory that never fades.

Justin Hackman said...

Marc, I have seen so many Olympic fates decided on seemingly the luck of the draw. What are the judges thinking? I am over the faulty nature of the system, and how it creates a perversion of the sport, and I now am focusing purely on the incompetence of the judges. Something needs to be changed. I am not happy.

Justin Hackman said...

...and I get the fact that it could be the case that these judges are indeed hitting the buttons eventually after a flurry, which does not qualify in the allotted time. But really, who can't press a button within a second??