Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Getting Your Money's Worth

This week, we've got two fighters who always give fans their money's worth -- IBO lightweight champ Juan Diaz and former light heavyweight king Glen Johnson. Both boxers let their hands fly for 12 straight rounds if necessary. In addition, both are great guys out of the ring. It's hard to find two people more well liked and respected in the sport.

Speaking of getting your money's worth, that's what you get when you go to a Don King show. This weekend's Boxing After Dark undercard featured 9 fights! Heavyweight prospect Bermane Stiverne looked ordinary beating Robert Hawkins. Stiverne was someone I thought had the potential to be heavyweight champ some day. Now I'm not so sure.

I was the undercard announcer and I can tell you that Don got his money's worth out of me.

After all this time, I finally met Michael Buffer. I've talked to him on the phone before and had him on the show, but never spoke to him in person. He couldn't have been nicer. I also talked with Max Kellerman who confirmed my theory that he never received all of my interview requests for the past two years. Now that he's been on once, hopefully that log jam has been eliminated.

Also, I was threatened for refusing to write a story about Owen Beck. Seriously. After being asked to write the story, I replied that no one cared about Beck when he was a fringe contender. Boxing fans certainly don't care about him now. That led to threats that I'd be paid a visit within 48 hours to change my mind. So if there's dead air Thursday at 9:06, you know what happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think Nate's chances are of doing well at 140 if he were to fight say Ricky Hatton or Juan Urango?

and what was Kermit Cintron thinking when he thought he won the fight vs Sergio Martinez he was clearly dropped by the straight left hand in the 7th round, and also Cintron is a big baby he is always complaining about headbutt's or rabbit punches when he is the one ducking his head so low he is vulnerable to getting hit behind the head.