Monday, October 15, 2007

Looking for Guests in All the Wrong Places

As I mentioned in an earlier post, some weeks I have potential guests coming out the ying-yang and other times, I'm scrambling on Wednesday evening or even Thursday morning. With no big fights coming up in the next few weeks, it's more of a challenge to get big name, timely guests.

Some of the stars like to get all of their media done at once (within a few day span), usually the week of or before the fight. Others don't want to be bothered that close to the bout and you have to catch them early in camp.

I sent out my feelers to Cotto and Mosley's people today. Top Rank said Cotto will be doing all of his interviews around the same time and will get back to me once they know their schedule. Golden Boy's PR machine can be very difficult. I'm hoping the fact that I've had Shane on several times will count for something but you never know.

Back to this week -- I sent out several requests and all came back negative. I've been trying to get Jimmy Lennon, Jr. on for a while, but the guy is so busy announcing fights or traveling to a fight, he's never around on Thursday nights.

The good news is I booked Thomas Hauser for next week. His new book, "The Greatest Sport of All" is very good. We'll be giving away a copy on next week's show. He's a terrific writer who has been around for years and was probably as close to Ali as any writer, so it should be a fascinating conversation.

As for this week -- I've got to hit the phones hard tomorrow.

The good news is I'm looking forward to this weekend. There are no big shows and I'm not announcing anything. Though it does feel like a void as it will be the first time I've been home for two weekends in a row in months.

That being said, it will be nice to spend time with the family and eat dinner before 11:30. Whenever I work a show, I usually eat a late lunch around 3 and don't eat dinner because I don't want to be weighed down when I need to present a strong voice. So I end up eating Denny's or in the case of the Shobox show in California two weeks ago, great Mexican food at midnight. I think I'm the only one who didn't get heartburn. If you're ever in Corona, CA and hankering for a fine wet burrito at 12:00 a.m., pay a visit to Haciena Guadalajara.

Aah, the glamorous life.

No comments: