Friday, October 19, 2007

McCline Interview

The Jameel McCline interview went great. As I mentioned yesterday, he is one of my favorite interviews. He always speaks his mind which is all an interviewer can ask for.

Unfortunately, Fightnews did not post the link to the show, so for those of you who missed it, you can download the podcast at www.sportsbyline.com and click on Through the Ropes.

A couple of highlights:

The first question I asked was if he had ever taken steroids, HGH or other illegal performance enhancing drugs. He said his lawyers have advised him not to comment at this time due to the ongoing investigation. I pressed him --"If there's nothing to hide, why not just say, I didn't do it?" He responded by saying because they don't know where the investigation is going he needs to play it safe and not comment. He added that he has never tested positive for steroids. I commented that while that's true, there is no test for HGH.

There was a very poignant moment when he was talking about how referee Mike Ortega asked Peter five questions before allowing him to continue after the second knockdown in the third round, giving him a few extra seconds of needed recovery time. When I watched the video of that moment, it appeared to me that Ortega may have been considering stopping the fight but wanted to give Peter every opportunity to continue if he could. I mentioned to Jameel that there was a lot at stake, so shouldn't the referee have acted accordingly and not make a pre-mature stoppage? His response hit home like a straight right to the solar plexus. "There was a lot at stake for me too."

Perhaps because I know Jameel and think I understand how desperately he wants to win a title, that really affected me. It's more of an emotional thing for him as opposed to the money (which would certainly be nice too). I get the impression that despite all of his success, being called heavyweight champion would heal a lot of painful memories from his past.

I encourage you to download the podcast. We also had some fun with Travis Walker who kept referring to the old recycled heavyweights, despite knowing Jameel was on the line.

Until next time, obey my commands and protect yourself at all times.

No comments: