Thursday, October 4, 2007

On the Road

In my last post, I mentioned how some shows are easy to schedule and others aren't. This week falls into the latter category.

I thought I had Sam Peter confirmed last week but his manager was very wishy washy as to whether he would do the show. "I know it's great publicity, but he's tired. I can't make him." He said he'd see what he could do and I should call him tonight. I'm guessing it's not going to happen.

Juan Diaz is confirmed. Hopefully, that's not a problem.

I also am supposed to have Jeff Mayweather who is Sultan Ibragimov's trainer. He's currently in Russia and is willing to get up at 5:30 a.m. to do our show and incur massive roaming charges on his cell phone bill. I'm always leery when a guest is in another country and has to get up early to do the show. That's probably 50-50 at best

To make the show even more challenging, I'm on the road because I'm ring announcing Shobox tomorrow night. I'm scheduled to arrive in California just a few hours before Through the Ropes goes live. That doesn't give me a lot of time to scramble if the guests aren't going to be available.

I'll use the time on the plane to prepare if the guests show up and if they don't. It's something I have to do every week -- prepare two shows. Athletes tend to be flaky and are known to blow off commitments. Boxers are especially notorious for not being where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there.

To further point out what a glamorous life I lead, today is my birthday. I'll likely eat dinner alone after the show and watch Seinfeld reruns in my hotel room. Feel free to join my pity party.

My brother will come up to the Shobox show and crash with me, so at least I'll get to go out with him after the show. It will be the first time any family has seen my ring announce live.

I'm in the Dallas airport writing this and my BBQ chicken sandwich just arrived. Again, more glamour. You think Buffer eats BBQ chicken sandwiches in airport bars? No, I don't think so. And yeah, I know. I'm not Buffer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Calzaghe is going to own Kessler and make it look easy. 100% guaranteed.